A chat with Leah Toole on her new book, 'The Saddest Princess'

 The saddest princess by Leah Toole

An exclusive interview with Leah Toole on her first book


Leah wrote her first book on Princess Mary Tudor, the first-born daughter of Henry VIII. This book is historical fiction but is thoroughly enjoyable. You can purchase Leah's book for yourself on Amazon.

Tell us a bit about yourself, Leah!

 I am a German/British mum of 2, passionate about Tudor history. I grew up in Portugal and lived there for 24 years, where I met my husband and our kids were born. 

Where did your fascination with history start?

I decided to study History completely at random alongside English Literature and Language and instantly fell in love with it. 

Why did you decide to write your first book on Princess Mary? 

I believe that Mary I and how we perceive her today is so negative due to the Propaganda during her reign which we still believe to this day when she didn't actually do anything that Henry VIII or even Elizabeth I did. People forget that she was a royal-born princess of the realm who everyone loved, and I sincerely believe she would have been a fantastic queen had she had a different path in life. And I just wanted to give her some recognition and to open people's eyes to who she was and could have been.

Do you think Mary is often misjudged by historians?

I think historians who focus on Mary I pre and post-her reign will know that she had the potential to be a great monarch

How did it feel writing your first book? 

It felt very fulfilling. I had wanted to become an author since I was 13 years old and to finally sit and commit myself to writing a book about a subject I'm so passionate about was very fulfilling. I didn't feel like it was a chore at all, even on days when I struggled it was always a positive experience.

Do you believe if Mary was alive now, she would be diagnosed with endometriosis?

I don't believe that she would be diagnosed with endometriosis in this day and age, no. Based on my research she had similar symptoms but they were more consistent with ovarian cysts and potentially cancer. Personally, I believe she had cysts and that she suffered from depression and migraines which I think were brought on by the intense stresses she was subjected to (since it has been noted that she suffered much less when she was living at her countryside residence in Hunsdon House, where she was away from court dramas.

Do you think Mary would have turned out differently if she did not have so much trauma?

I absolutely believe that! In my book, I try to show how elegant and regal she was as a princess. I wanted to show a clear image of her as a royal princess and how she could have been queen. The trauma she endured, I believe, is 100% related to who she became. The abuse, neglect and trauma definitely left her a much more guarded and icy person than she could have been. But also, the abuse her mother suffered also played a big part in her devotion to the Catholic religion which she felt she had to protect when she became queen. 

Do you think there is anything good about Mary's reign?

This is a tough question. But ultimately, no I don't. She came to power at a very difficult stage of her life. Catholic England needed an heir and she was put under a lot of pressure at a very late stage of her life to marry and conceive, while at the same time dealing with all the other political issues the country faced. Her need to reconnect with her mother's country and Catholicism led her to marry the Prince of Spain which cost her the love of her people and led the country to war. She struggled a lot with personal needs as well as the needs of her people and sadly her decisions did not lead to anything positive. Had she attained the throne even 5 years earlier (which she might have done if Henry viii had not divorced Katherine of Aragon) then she may have achieved something worthwhile. 

When writing your book, who was your biggest support?

I'd say when it came to writing my book I didn't need much incentive because I really wanted to do this for myself. But in saying that, my husband was my biggest cheerleader and he often told me how proud he was of me for going after and achieving my goal. 

Did you find anything, in particular, upsetting when researching Mary's life? 

Because I've always loved Tudor history, nothing really came as a huge shock when I was researching the book. However, the way her father could simply dismiss her from one moment to the next when he had practically named her his heir and then suddenly shuns her from court - that was hard to work through. I just cannot understand how a parent can treat their child in such a terrible way. That was quite heartbreaking.

Have you got any future plans for upcoming books?

Yes, The Saddest Princess was book 1 of a 3-part series. I am actually working on book 2 right now which focuses on Elizabeth I and book 3 will be about Edward VI. Book 2 will hopefully be out around December 2023.

Why are we still fascinated with Tudor history today?

Henry VIII and what he did by breaking from Rome and the Catholic Church shaped England into the country it is today. His narcissistic behaviour and the way he treated his wives in such a public setting was and still is very shocking. I don't think we will ever not be fascinated by his actions and what they led to.

What medical problems do you think Mary suffered from?

I think she suffered from cysts in the uterus and potentially the fallopian tubes. I would definitely say she suffered from depression and migraines too.

Do you believe Catherine of Aragon truly loved her daughter from birth? 

In my book, I suggest that she did not because of the disappointment of Mary being a girl. Personally, I think she will have felt very torn and definitely traumatised from all her previous losses, and forming an immediate bond with Mary was unlikely, as she will have felt the need to protect herself from more heartache if the baby died. I do think she definitely loved her later though.

How has the support been in publishing your book?

I am a little blown away at the support I've received actually. Not only from family and friends but also from strangers taking a chance on me through word of mouth and kindle unlimited. Not everyone I know has bought a copy or even read it but they show their support in other ways whether through suggesting my book to a friend or showing genuine interest in the process which is really lovely. 

Thank you so much to Leah for agreeing to an interview with me, it was a pleasure talking to you! 

What are you waiting for? Go purchase 'The Saddest Princess'! 

Until next time, Unholytudor 💙

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dudley family with Christine Hartweg

August book recommendation: In the footsteps of Anne Boleyn by Natalie Grueninger and Sarah Morris

The Launch of the new podcast: The Tudor HerSTORY